Why You Should Never Compromise on File Transfer Security
File transfers or online data transfer across private and public networks is one of the essentials for businesses in all kinds of industries today. However, many outdated transfer protocols are still in place. This includes passwords and usernames. This can leave your valuable information and network quite vulnerable to potential hackers.
What Is Secure File Transfer?
Secure file transfer refers to the sharing of data through a reliable and secure delivery approach. This method is taken to safeguard personal and proprietary data at rest and in transit. Most secure file sharing methods use standard sharing protocols that offer encrypted file transfer. Some of the most popular ones are as follows:
- SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol): SFTP helps in file transfers with the SSH (Secure Shell) connection. This encrypted file transfer protocol helps users enable remote login to operate the network securely. This protocol provides data and commands encryption to help prevent sensitive information from getting into the wrong hands.
- FTPS (File Transfer Protocol - Secure): FTPS again provides users with encryption. It makes use of an application layer wrapper called SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) to allow private and secure communications to take place across a network.
- HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol - Secure): HTTPS is another great protocol that secures websites when visitors share sensitive information like their credit card details. This protocol provides users with several layers of data protection such as authentication, data integrity, and data encryption.
- AS2 (Applicability Statement 2): Finally, AS2 is another widely used standard to transfer EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) messages in real-time. This protocol helps facilitate the exchange of AS2 EDI messages as well as other kinds of data over the HTTPS or HTTP protocol.
Using non-secure data management systems or file-sharing software can make your data vulnerable to packet sniffing and eavesdropping. This might put a lot of private information at risk, including but not limited to:
- Passwords and usernames
- Social security numbers
- Credit card details
- Proprietary company information like a list of clients or suppliers.
This is precisely why it is important to protect your data at all costs by using secure data management systems for file sharing. It is also noteworthy that attacks can go much beyond data hijacking. When hackers infiltrate your data, they can even conduct Denial of Service (DoS) attacks, thus impeding your routine operations. All kinds of cyberattacks can compromise the trust of your clients and damage your company’s reputation in the long run.
Reliable Data Security
Individuals and companies can protect their in-transit data as well as safeguard their networks through secure file sharing protocols. There exist several secure file-sharing software online that support a number of secure standard protocols such as SFTP, FTP, and SCP. When your file transfer operations are carried out using these protocols, you add several additional layers of data protection. This includes data integrity, user authentication, data encryption, and host identity verification.
Reasons Why You Should Use Secure Data Management & File Transfer Systems
There are several reasons why you should use a secure data management and file transfer system in your organization. Let us check them out one by one!
1. More Organized Project Management
When multiple stakeholders and projects are running, it can be very important to have all the files and documents organized properly in one platform. Imagine searching for an important file across various tools such as Google Drive, Dropbox, email attachments, or more. It can be extremely stressful, and you might even lose important data. So, using one secure file sharing tool can help you stay organized and increase your efficiency and performance.
2. Improved Authorization and File Security
When you use a good file sharing tool, you can have settings that can prevent unauthorized access. You can be selective in giving access, preventing accidental deletion, editing, viewing, or accessing important files. Moreover, working with a file-sharing platform that offers encryption and other security features can help your data from getting corrupted or stolen. When you encrypt your important data, you can transfer it without worrying that it will be intercepted or corrupted on the way.
3. Better Collaboration Across Teams
One of the biggest problems that lead to a decrease in productivity is the lack of proper communication. This problem becomes even bigger when various team members work remotely. In such a scenario, a good collaboration system can be a lifesaver. It can help in sharing ideas and updates instantly. It also helps bring everyone together to one platform that allows for sharing files in the form of documents, presentations, videos, or any other way. Offering convenient access to all this information to all the team members massively improves communication. This can help in increasing the overall productivity immensely.
4. Automated Backup & File Sync
File sync is an important part of any sharing tool. If this is inefficient, it might lead to a lot of delays and miscommunication. Therefore, making backups and file sync should be automated so that the employees don’t have to worry about uploading the files every time they make changes in a document. It should be compatible with smartphones and other smart devices to offer flexibility. The main aim of any file-sharing platform must be to offer efficiency and minimize cost. Moreover, it should be easy-to-use so that employees can start using it immediately without any long training.
To sum up, it is very important to use a good data management and file transfer system. This ensures the security of your sensitive files and data. Moreover, you can take advantage of properly managed data, improve the overall collaboration, and optimize teams' performance. Therefore you can find the best file transfer system providers here on Steerthrough.com. Especially if you are a start-up and looking for a startup to help you, choose from the companies listed on our site to manage your data securely and effectively. It is a highly secure tool and keeps all the important aspects of file sharing, such as encryption, easy usage, individual access, etc., into account. So, try it out and improve the work performance of your employees.+0